Wednesday, November 7, 2007

New Mayor

Connie Bridgmen was elected Mayor of Ricketts Iowa yesterday by a vote of 47-7.
Mind you, this is a preliminary result- I'm not the best journalist, my only source on this is my wife's grandmother, Laura Langholdt, a long time resident of Ricketts. I've tried the Crawford County website and Iowa's Secretary of State, even the Denison Bulletin/Review but no one has anything posted yet.

You may scoff at an election with only 54 people voting, but remember, the Ricketts population is only 140. When you consider how many of those 140 are children, that's an amazing turn out!

I'd better keep my nose out of it, but I can tell you that it was a rather contentious campaign. Former Mayor Copeland had a long record to run on, but still decided to "go negative" toward the end there. I couldn't tell you whether that was a determining factor or not, but I'm sure that there are plenty of those 54 voters who would tell you if you asked.

Sorry, I don't know anything about who else may have gotten onto the city council, but if you call the number for City Hall on the right side of this website, you can probably find out sooner or later.

Kudos to all you Ricketts voters who came out and participated in our American democracy. Good luck to Mayor-Elect Bridgmen.

You're all welcome to participate in this website by sending me any notices, memos, pictures, ideas, stories, memories or announcements that you'd like to share with your fellow "Rickettosians." Just write me at ted.mallory@gmail.com.

Election Day: Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Polling site: Rickets City Hall

Polling hours: 7 a.m.-8 p.m.

Mayor, two candidates, two-year term: Connie Bridgeman and Wayne P. Copeland

Three council positions, three candidates, two-year terms: Drene Briggle, Jennifer Hennings and Edwin D. Schreiber

Ballot question on changing the use of local option sales tax funds

No comments: