Wednesday, May 2, 2007

What' the heck's a Gumbotil?

This is a photo from July 1925 that I found on a University of Iowa website. It shows three men, George Kay, Frank Leverett, and Paul MacClintock about 4 miles Northeast of Ricketts, looking at the Nebraska gumbotil outcrop. Far as I can tell, that's scientific jargon for a geological formation caused by glaciers during the ice age.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I may have to take my camera for a roadtrip and try to find this "Gumbotil." Wait a sec, 4 miles NE, isn't that just the town of Schleswig?

If you have antique pictures you'd like to contribute, just let me know and I can scan them in or you could email them to me: ted.mallory-at-gmail.com*

*(FYI: "-at-" means you'll have to put the "@" in there, by me not using it here, I prevent a lot of people from being able to send me spam)

No comments: